What is Special About the Ten Days of Dhul Hijjah? | Imam Tahir Anwar
July 3, 2022 @ 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
The month of Dhul Hijjah is upon us!
According to the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, the first 10 days of this month are a special time for devotion. This applies to all Muslims, not just those who are partaking in the pilgrimage.
To help you get in the spirit of this blessed time, join Imam Tahir Anwar to learn the significance of Dhul Hijjah – an overlooked gem in the Islamic calendar. He will share beautiful stories from the Prophet’s ﷺ life and practical advice to prepare us for Dhul Hijjah.
- – 1st Dhul-Hijjah: Wednesday, June 29
“Righteous deeds done in the first ten days of the month of Dhul Hijjah are more beloved to Allah than any other days.” (BUKHARI)
- – Day of Arafah, Friday, July 8
“Fasting on the Day of Arafah expiates for sins of the previous year and the coming year (MUSLIM)
?? Make the Most of the Blessed Days of Dhul Hijjah
- – Talks & Sermons on Dhul Hijjah: https://mcceastbay.org/dhul-hijjah
- – Guide for Dhul Hijjah’s First Ten Days: https://mcceastbay.org/hijjah-guide
- – What is Special About the Ten Days of Dhul Hijjah? | Shaykh Faid Mohammed Said
- – Dhul Hijjah: 10-Day Game Plan & Checklist (Yaqeen Institute): https://mcceastbay.org/hijjah-plan
- – Ten Days of Dhul Hijjah: A Planner for Your Good Deeds (A Continous Charity): https://mcceastbay.org/hijjah-planner
- – The Eid Takbeers (pdf version): https://mcceastbay.org/takbeer
- – The Eid Takbeers (one-hour audio loop): https://mcceastbay.org/takbir
- – Read Qur’an
- – Make Dua
- – Increase Nawaafil (voluntary) prayers
- – Fasting
- – Dhikr
- – Charity
Ibn ‘Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, “There are no days during which the righteous action is so pleasing to Allah than these days (i.e., the first ten days of Dhul-Hijjah).” He was asked: “O Messenger of Allah, not even Jihad in the Cause of Allah?” He (PBUH) replied, “Not even Jihad in the Cause of Allah, except in case one goes forth with his life and his property and does not return with either of it.” [Al- Bukhari]
‘By the dawn; by the ten nights’
The first ten days of Dhul-Hijjah are so virtuous that Allah (swt) swears by them in the Qur’an: “By the dawn; by the ten nights”. The Qur’an also reminds us: “Remember Allah during the appointed days.”
In the hadith, we find The Prophet ﷺ mention: “There are no days greater and more beloved to Allah than these ten days of Dhul Hijjah, so increase in them your declaration of the oneness of Allah (tahleel), your exaltation of him (takbeer), and your praise of Him (tahmeed).”
The scholars remind us to spend these sacred days by increasing in worship, specifically:
- Fast for the first 9 days, or at least on Day of ‘Arafah (9th of Dhul-Hijjah) — which is on Friday, July 8.
- Increase in your recitation of the Qur’an – at least Surah Yaseen after Fajr, Surah Waqi’ah & Mulk anytime after Maghrib.
- Increase in Sadaqah — aim to give a small amount every day.
- Increase in supererogatory (nawafil) prayers — maintain all your sunnah prayers & aim to wake for tahajjud.
- Increase in Istighfar (seeking forgiveness) — aim for 100X a day.
- Reach out to your relatives, forgive & forget the past.
- Significantly increase your Salawaat upon the Prophet (ﷺ) — aim for 100X a day.
Make Du’a and talk to Allah as much as you can.
Imam Tahir Anwar