High Schooler Information Session | Getting Into the UC System
November 13, 2022 @ 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Muslim high school students can attend to receive additional information on how to apply to colleges and prepare during their school years for college.
The presenters are UC Berkeley Students who are a part of the leadership committee & board of the undergraduate Muslim Students Association.
- 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. for 10th and 11th graders: get an introduction to the college application process, how to get involved academically and with extra-curricular activities, and the importance of building solid relationships with teachers who may serve as recommenders.
- 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. for 12th graders (current seniors in high school). In this session, get targeted advice on the personal statement and how to approach shorter essays, the application strategies we used while applying, and some time for Q&A. You will also have the opportunity to get paired with current UC Berkeley students for mentorship. The UC college applications this year are due at the end of December.
3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. | Sunday, November 13 | MCC Conference Room
We will also have a session preceding this session for job seekers: https://mcceastbay.org/event/resume-linkedin-building
Attention all high school students! Join this “UC College Application Workshop” where students can learn all about the UC application process, essay tips, and more from two UC students. This is for all students ages 14 to 18 interested in applying for a University of California (UC) campus.
This college admissions workshop addresses the challenges and opportunities that go into college admission, including writing college admissions essays and developing relationships with teachers for letters of recommendation. High school students and their parents hear from current UC Berkeley students who will share insights and tips on creating the proper habits, mindset, and plan to place your best foot forward.
This workshop covers:
- – How to approach the college admissions process.
- – How to pick the right colleges to apply to.
- – How to make sure you get good recommendations from your teachers.
- – How to choose a college major and factors you should consider in this process.
- – How to prepare for a college interview.
- – How to write a great college application essay.
About the Presenters:
Wanees Hannan is a fourth-year undergraduate student at UC Berkeley studying Environmental Sciences, with plans to apply to medical school. He’s currently leading the UC Berkeley Muslim Student Association (MSA)’s Youth Outreach Committee.
Kamran Jamil is a third-year student at UC Berkeley School of Law with a bachelor’s degree in Social Studies from Harvard. Kamran was pre-medical during his undergraduate studies before pursuing a master’s degree in History and his present studies in law. He serves as the Education Coordinator for the MSA.