In Islam, a Nikah (marriage ceremony) is a covenant with God to honor, respect, care for and love your spouse; it is a legally binding contract. The MCC East Bay is honored to celebrate with you on this blessed occasion. Your Nikah can be conducted with Qari Amar Bellaha at the MCC.
To conduct a Nikah, the following requirements must be met:
- Bride and groom’s consent to marry
- Two Muslim witnesses (MCC can provide, with advance notice)
- Bride’s Wali (Guardian i.e. bride’s father)
- Legal marriage documentation with the State of California.
- Obtain Marriage License from your local Court House (Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara). Please contact your County Clerk’s Office for fees and requirements.
- Only after receiving your marriage license in hand, please call to schedule an appointment with Qari Amar Bellaha for Nikkah at least one week in advance by calling Br. Munir at (925) 623-2927 or email@example.com.
- Before scheduling your Nikkah at the MCC, we encourage the couple to receive pre-marital counseling to understand one another and the Islamic marriage model at the Khalil Center office at the MCC.
- Before coming in for your Nikkah, please complete this Nikkah form, including agreeing on the Mahr (dowry).
The MCC East Bay also offers facility rentals for your Nikah.
Couples are encouraged to read:
- “Mahr” – The Marriage Gift”
- “Islamic Marriage Contracts Resource Guide” – Peaceful Families Project
- “Like A Garment by Shaykh Yasir Qadhi”
- “Before You Tie the Knot”
If you would like to book a popular Bay Area Imam for your Nikah at the MCC or at another venue, please contact Halal Weddings (halalweddings.com). That group can arrange officiants such as Imam Dawood Yasin, Sidi Syed Mubeen Saifullah, Imam Shaykh Alauddin EL-Bakri, Shaykh Abdullah bin Hamid Ali, Dr. Hatem Bazian, Imam Tahir Anwar, or Imam Ilyas Anwar.