We join in solidarity and support together to remember those lives lost to COVID-19 and celebrate our collective rebirth and renewal on Sunday, June 27, 2021. Watch the gathering at https://youtu.be/0Wlh8-8HkNM
Held in the parking Lot of MCC East Bay, 5724 W. Las Positas Blvd., Pleasanton and sponsored by Eden Area Interfaith Council, Tri-Valley Interfaith Interconnect & Tri-City Interfaith Council.
We gathered to mourn the victims of the horrific yearlong pandemic on our community. The Coronavirus caused millions of deaths and disrupted billions of lives globally.
Group worship was also disrupted, but the outbreak has bolstered the religious faith of many faithful and opened opportunities to pray and to serve our community with food, medical supplies, and more.
Disasters and crises have a way of making some question the existence of a greater force for good in the world and others to become more religious in the wake of tragedy.
As we look forward to better days, we reflect on the intersection of faith, a pandemic, a historic social movement.
- Hina Khan-Mukhtar: Emcee welcome
MCC East Bay, Pleasanton
- Hafiz Ameen Mukhtar: Opening Muslim prayer
MCC East Bay, Pleasanton
- Wendy Jacobsen: Opening meditative prayer and lighting of a candle
Holy Cross Episcopal Church, Castro Valley
- Bishop Robert Lopez & Munir Safi: Personal impact of virus on their family and healing from pain
Eden Area Interfaith Council & Mar Thoma Orthodox Church, Northridge & MCC East Bay, Pleasanton
- Jamie Ireland & Elsa Grabowski: Poem of memory for those lost to the virus and reading of poem “A Year Like No Other”
Tri-Valley Cultural Jews, Pleasanton
- Trish Munro: Impact and response of City of Livermore
Livermore City Council
- Ruth Gasten: A joyful post-pandemic experience
Tri-Valley Interfaith Interconnect
- Arelis Sandoval, R.N, P.H.N.: Virus’ impact on frontline healthcare personnel and ongoing response
Alameda County Public Health
- Congressman Eric Swalwell: reflections and gratitude to East Bay interfaith community efforts,
California 15th Congressional District
- Joy Barnitz: How we practice interfaith during a pandemic
Tri-City Interfaith Council
- Leslie Mero: Memorial prayer and thanksgiving for days ahead
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Hayward
- Cantor Linda Hirschhorn: A song of healing and coming out of brokenness
Temple Beth Sholom, San Leandro
- Mark Vaz: The peace prayer of St. Francis
Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church, Castro Valley
- Rev. Dr. Arlene K. Nehring: Caring for our community’s most vulnerable
Eden United Church of Christ, Hayward
- Roujheen Sabetan: A prayer for our departed
Baha’i Community, Pleasanton
- Rene’ Castle: A prayer of peace
Starr King Universalist Church, Hayward
- Soni Kaur, Gagan Singh & Manjeev Singh (Sikh Choir): Keertan (hymn song)
Gurdwara Sahib, Hayward